Thursday, May 15, 2008

Little Blooms - GBBD

You have to get up close to see most of the things blooming in my garden right now. I have no idea what this plant is. I don't remember planting it but I left it when I did the early weeding. After last night's rain and with the wind blowing today I wasn't able to get a very good picture. Am I nurturing another weed? If so it's ok, it's a cute little flower.


Trillium is my favorite spring flower. Several of the white one are still blooming but the red seem to be done.


I don't know what these shrubs are. They grow wild at the edge of the property. South of here I've seen the white ones blooming. I have both white and pink budding now. One of these has self seeded in the nightmare bed willow bed and I've decided to leave it for the birds and the butterflies.


The forsythia is almost done. It used to cover most of the western property line but the neighbors wanted it gone because it attracted bees :(


This redbud will be done soon. It isn't actually mine but I get to enjoy it anyway.


Other blooms:

  • Lungwort
  • Bleedinghearts
  • Azalea
  • Violets
  • Pansies
  • Fushia
  • Impatients
  • Forget-me-nots
  • Periwinkle
  • Spurge
  • Strawberries
Visit May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming today in gardens around the world!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Apple, it's interesting to see how your garden is just a few weeks behind mine. BTW, I think that big shrub is probably honesuckle.

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Apple and Happy Blooming Day. Carol beat me to the guess of Tatarian honeysuckle for the variously colored shrubs - used to have them in many pastel shades.

    I think the yellow flower may be the native Celandine Poppy.

    It's good to see spring in NY State!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess I don't have to tell you that shrub is wild honeysuckle :) I photographed both the white and pink in the hedgerow across the road just the other day. You may be sorry if you let it stay. It's pretty invasive. But it is pretty! We bought a 'tame' honeysuckle from Miller's nursery 2 yrs ago. It's still small, but blooming! It was crowded by hostas where I planted it originally, so it didn't grow well the first year. I moved it and it's doing fine now.
    A friend gave me some lungwort last year and I love the way it has the 3 flower colors!
    Isn't it wonderful to have spring blooms?
    Your azalea is gorgeous. Mine only has about 7 blossoms :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for the honeysuckle ID. When I think of honeysuckle I think vine. The bed that it seeded itself in is for the birds and butterflies so I'll leave it for now.

    I have wood poppies all over the place (I just didn't know what they were called!) This plant looks very similar and now that you've identified it for me I do remember picking it up at the symposium in Rochester last year (but I still don't remember planting it)

    The little blue flowers are periwinkle. This azalea bush is beautiful but my other three didn't fare so well over the winter :(

    ReplyDelete